At 3:20pm today, companies were dispatched to 500 block of Taylor Avenue in Oradell for a reported house fire, dispatch had received multiple 911 calls reporting smoke in the area and a fire. Chief 20 arrived on scene shortly after and reported a working fire in the rear of the structure. Engine 24 arrived and began stretching a 1-3/4″ attack line into the structure to make an aggressive interior attack. Tower 21 arrived and began primary searches for possible victims in the home. A 2nd Alarm was transmitted by Chief 20 to bring additional units to the scene. Heavy fire conditions were encountered, but a quick knock down was made by the engine companies on-scene.
2nd Alarm Dispatch
Nearly 13 years in the making, the fire department is thrilled to announce today’s ground breaking of our new Firefighter’s Memorial & Plaza! In 2003, the original memorial was removed while major construction was taking place at the firehouse to lower the floors and widen the apparatus doors.
Today, work officially began as footings are being dug to support the original fire department gong.
Work should take about six weeks to complete.
At 9:15AM, Oradell Water Rescue Units were dispatched to Hackensack Fire Headquarters while the Hackensack FD and Teaneck FD investigated a capsized vessel on the Hackensack River. This was found to be an unoccupied rowboat that had strayed from a construction site.
The Oradell Fire Department would like to thank Sussex Bank (Facebook link) for their recent donation of $1,000 toward the Department’s new Health & Wellness Initiative. The Department recently formed a committee dedicated to promoting physical fitness throughout our ranks in an effort to reduce the chances of cardiac related ailments both on and off the fireground. This donation will be utilized to purchase new fitness equipment for our firehouse. Thank you to all of our generous residents and local businesses who continue to support us!
It’s that time again when we remind people of the simple, life-saving habit of changing and testing the batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors when setting the clocks forward for daylight-saving time.
The National Fire Protection Association reports that 71% of smoke alarms which failed to operate had missing, disconnected or dead batteries, making it important to take this time each year to check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.