Thanksgiving Day Safety
The Members of the Oradell Volunteer Fire Department wish everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving. Please keep fire safety at the top of your list!
Please watch the State Farm Insurance video on Frying Turkey’s with Lt. Kaplan’s good friend Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner): Click Here
Safety tips from the NFPA
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stove top so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay 3 feet away.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks or bags.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave children alone in room with a lit candle.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.